PHP WEB SCRIPTS    Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easy CSS customization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHP Web Scripts Forum Index -> Link Up Gold Support & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aldoseri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Easy CSS customization Reply with quote

This is just a small tip to help you customize your website on your local machine.

1- visit your website and get page source.

2- Paste in a new file and save as index.html or any name you like. it is better to save it in a new folder

3- get a copy of the intended style such as Blue_1, Blue_2 etc... (the whole folder) and save it in the same folder as the index.html page.

4- Open index.html and edit the stylesheet reference to point to to style folder. usually just removing the http://domain.com part. Your new path should look something like this:

<LINK href="Blue_2/shared.css" rel=StyleSheet>
<LINK href="Blue_2/styles.css" rel="StyleSheet">

also get a copy of the shared.css and save it to the style folder.

That's it. Just open your new page in any browser and start editing your CSS. I use FireFox with the developer plug-in. Safari 4 also has a very good developer option built-in but FireFox is what I'm comfortable with.

This way you can edit and do all your testing on your local machine without worrying about breaking your website, and it has an added advantage that if your browser for any reason refuses to clear the cache (More likely) you can rename the stylesheet to stylesheet2.css and it will reload a fresh copy reflecting your changes. Don't forget to change the name in the head section as well.

When done upload your edited stylesheet and any images you created. Some paths will need redefining but that's obvious.

I hope this helps in way.

Arif
PHPWebScripts
Richard - Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip, Arif! I'm sure that it's useful for many users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHP Web Scripts Forum Index -> Link Up Gold Support & Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: