PHP WEB SCRIPTS    Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arranging Categories into four columns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHP Web Scripts Forum Index -> Support & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Arranging Categories into four columns Reply with quote

Good Day,
I am currently testing your free version of link up, I have altered some formating and some code, but assure you I will not use your code unless I purchase it and there is a reasonable fix for my problem.

I am trying to replace and existing search engine that I created to something a bit more complex like your script provides.

Your script is accomodating my site layout so far.
test site http://www.mypbc.com/alink

I would like to keep as close to the same format as I am using now
as seen at http://www.mypbc.com

My problem is getting the categories to format into four alphabetically organized columns

I would like to see equal columns organized with all of the a's, b's, c's to the left and not across as your script seems to default to.

I see how you are using the index.html and the index_cats.txt I changed the width to 25% hoping to create four columns to no luck?
and cannot seem to organize alphabetically

I feel that I should be changing something in the index.php but cannot figure it out. I removed some items with no luck.

I would consider myself a tad above novice for the most part when it comes to php/mysql. so fix would have to be spelled out, sorry.

Everything so far is working great, I can see you put a lot of effort into this script. Its one of three scripts I tried that actually worked as claimed. I had no trouble installing and getting up and running.

If you could advise me on a fix for this column problem, and if you thought it possible to have the anchors as well, Bonus!

I am interested in the gold pkg. but would probobaly not use all of the features. the idea being I am trying to make my site with little frills and more results.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Ian...

[/url]
PHPWebScripts
Richard - Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making more columns needs a little modification only, we can do it for you. In the Gold version you can select number of columns in the configuration.

If you want to sort the categories in columns, we can do it for you as well but not for free, it's a little more difficult. In the Gold version it will be available as a standard feature in a next version. As you may noticed the Gold version also contain category levels, it may be very useful for you as you have really big number of categories.

However I think it's not possible to create the anchors, maybe by a lot of code and we don't plan to add that. I think you can use easier way to do it. Just save the names of categories and links to them to the template. It allows you to have exactly the look you want. Of course if you add or remove a category, you will need to manually update that list.

Thank you
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: formatting columns Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply,
As you suggested, I am currently mannually updating the index page with the categories, uploading as needed for new categories. thus allowing for the formatting of my choice.
I liked your script because I could add categories dynamically. and remotly.
I was also considering using the description input as a keyword area, Not displaying this in the show links, and facilitating the search feature.
The hundred or so sites that have listed on there own have really liked this feature and thought I could incorporate it into your script.

I would not expect you to work for free, and would like to talk more about your fees through email. I will email you through your link to talk $.

If you thought you could group the categories alphabetically into four columns similar to what I am doing now minus the anchors, I would be interested.

Initialy I was fending away from the sub-categorie feature, I wanted a site that if you where looking for "Electricians" you could find links within one click. there are other directories in my area, but it takes you about five or more clicks to find what you are looking for using sub categories and still results were poor. hence the yellow page type of category listing.

I would like this feature for some of the categories but not all, like Restaurants, possibly diffferent styles of food etc...

I'm guessing I can still have mutiple categories with selected categories that have sub categories. I'm not sure how this would display using my vertical alpha ordering?

I will email you from your site to discuss this further.

Thanks
Ian...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHP Web Scripts Forum Index -> Support & Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum